The early Superior Courts of Law and Equity of Tennessee were tasked with handling criminal matters and cases of relatively high dollar value, generally greater than $50. In this way, they were "superior" to the County Courts that adjudicated matters less than $50. The Superior Court also served as an appellate court. They were held in five districts and existed from 1793-1809 with the Hamilton District Superior Court sitting in Knoxville and serving the middle East Tennessee region. The records of this court are held at the Knox County Archives and the surviving cases are indexed here.