We now offer digital magazines through Flipster (on our E-media page), and have discontinued RBdigital. The magazines in Flipster are some of the ones you read on RBdigital, but what has us the most excited is:
- Consumer Reports, with back issues to March, 2014. We are thrilled to offer this magazine as a digital product for the first time.
- Flipster is easier to use than RBdigital was; you do not need to create an account with a third-party company, as you did with RBdigital. All you need is your library card number and PIN for access.
- You do not need to download magazine issues, because reading with the in-browser streaming experience is just fine. However, for offline reading you may download issues within an app for Apple, Android, and Kindle Fire devices. If you use the app, you may save bookmarks and tag them.
- When using Flipster on a laptop or computer, you have the options of (1) searching within all issues of a title, and (2) printing from a magazine.
- When using Flipster in the app on a mobile device, you have the option of viewing just the text and having it read aloud.
You'll discover your own favorite things about using Flipster, and we want to hear them—and any of your questions—over at Ask a Librarian.
As budget allows, we can add titles to the Flipster collection. Drop a suggestion for us here.
RBdigital has closed down after being acquired by OverDrive. The back issues will remain available to the end of November, and issues you have downloaded to the app should remain as long as the app keeps working on your device.
While we are sorry to be losing some of the titles we had on RBdigital, the addition of Consumer Reports is drying our tears, fast. We ran a trial of Flipster during our COVID-19 closure and heard some great comments, so we are confident that this will be a popular service once everyone adjusts to the change. But please let us know how the switch is going for you and if we can help you get started.