Knox County Public Library will open eight of its 19 locations beginning on Friday, May 29 as part of the Phase Two Reopening Plan put forth by the Knox County Health Department. Each of these locations will resume its regular schedule. The Libraries selected to reopen will provide access for patrons in all areas of the county. Next week, 102 employees will return to work with 67 remaining on furlough. Twenty-five employees remained active during closure.
Each Library has been fully sanitized and equipped with plexiglass sneeze shields at service counters. Available seating will be arranged to adhere to physical distancing guidelines. No public computers will be available, however, every location is equipped with Wi-Fi. The Library will isolate all returned materials for 72 hours to ensure the safe handling of books, CDs, DVDs and other materials. Storytimes, other programs and meeting room use will be suspended until further notice.
Library locations to reopen include:
- Lawson McGhee Library, 500 West Church Avenue
- Burlington Branch Library, 4614 Asheville Highway
- Carter Branch Library, 9036 Asheville Highway
- Cedar Bluff Branch Library, 9045 Cross Park Drive
- Farragut Branch Library, 417 Campbell Station Road
- Fountain City Branch Library, 5300 Stanton Road
- Powell Branch Library, 330 West Emory Road
- Howard Pinkston Branch Library, 7732 Martin Mill Pike
Plans to reopen the remaining locations will be forthcoming.