The Library welcomes volunteers who are able to help Library staff perform some necessary and ancillary services.
In the Library – Help shelve, organize and clean materials, prepare craft materials, read and straighten shelves, clean computer monitors and keyboards, and make photocopies. Volunteers may not work at public service desks.
Books for the Homebound – Drop off and pick up library materials for patrons who are homebound.
Children's Festival of Reading – Help children make fun arts and crafts, face paint, assist staff at the many stages and booths, and many other activities.
Imagination Library – Help at a registration booth, special events, and a host of other Imagination Library-sponsored activities.
Books Sandwiched In – Help set up and break down the room before and after the event.
- All potential volunteers must fill out the appropriate Volunteer Application.
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years of age. Exceptions may be made for short term projects such as those required of Girl and Boy Scouts.
- Applicants under 17 must have parental approval.
- Volunteers must have a Library card that is in good standing.
- Volunteers are bound by the same rules as Knox County Public Library staff, including its dress code.
- Volunteers work at-will and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
- Library volunteers are covered by the Library’s Property and Liability Insurance policy.
- Volunteers must wear a Volunteer badge.
- Volunteers must commit to at least 3 hours of service per month.
- Volunteer timesheets will be kept and hours submitted for the Library’s Monthly Report.
- Volunteers who average 3 hours a month for six months are excused from library fines and fees up to $10.00 per year.
- Volunteers may not sit at public desks or use staff computers.
- Potential volunteers will be checked against Tennessee's Sex Offender Registry. Volunteers working directly with minors may be asked to submit to a background check.
- Due to labor law restrictions, Knox County employees may not volunteer at the Library.
- Volunteer applications wills be kept on file for 1 year.
Community service workers
The Library does not use court-ordered community service volunteers.