The Periodicals Room of Lawson McGhee Library (3rd floor) houses a collection of recent and historical magazines and newspapers, including recent daily newspapers for various cities. Materials in the Periodicals Room are part of the reference collection and cannot be borrowed, but you can get copies from them whether they're on paper or microfilm. Due to changes in staffing, the Periodicals room will now close at 5:00. After 5:00, latest issues of current newspapers will be available in 1st Floor Reference, and both print and microfilm back issues are available on request.
Periodicals at the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection relate to history and genealogy, and these may not be borrowed.
Periodicals at branch libraries may be checked out.
Does the library have this periodical?
Our print periodical titles are included in the library catalog; the "Local Note" of the catalog record of a periodical tells the date range that the Library holds. You can also just give us a call and we'll check our holdings for you. If we do not have one that you need, we can try to get copies of articles through Interlibrary Loan.
Search services and resources
We will take up to three requests at one time by telephone.
- Periodicals databases - locate articles, with many articles online in full text.
- Print indexes - locate articles from sources not online. Our print indexes include Readers' Guide to Periodical literature, New York Times Index and more specialized indexes such as Book Review Digest, Book Review Index and Index to How to Do It Information.
- Historical stock quotes
- Obituary searches - require the name and the date of death. If you do not have the date, contact the McClung Historical Collection to see if they can find a date for you. We will search up to five days around a specific date.
- City directories for Knoxville, Knox County, and some of the surrounding areas - 10 years' worth of city directories and Knoxville telephone directories; older directories at McClung Historical Collection
Copies of materials
- Photocopies are 15¢ per page, self-serve.
- Will make color copies or microfilm copies while you wait; 25¢ per page, page limits apply. Requests for copies of microfilm should be made at least 30 minutes before the Periodicals Room closes.
- Will deliver copies by FAX, mail or courier.