Reference and information
Have a question?
- call or ask us by email
- try our online resources
- request items (see below)
- make an appointment for individual help with your research project or help using the computer, an ebook reader, or other information technology.
Reference services are located at Lawson McGhee Library.
Reserve or transfer materials
You can place a hold on up to 25 items of any material that can be checked out. When your hold becomes available at your requested location, we mail or email you a notice.
- By telephone: call us and have your library card number ready to place your hold.
- In your account: sign in and search the library catalog for the item you want. You'll find a button to place a hold on the item.
We will send photocopies of library material via FAX or postal service to library card holders in good standing. We deliver books to branches by courier and may also send copies by courier if preferred. Homebound individuals can register for home delivery.
- up to 20 pages from up to three sources
- FAX/mail: 25¢/page for up to 20 pages
- for courier delivery: up to 3 books, no charge; 15¢/page for printouts and photocopies, 25¢/page for microfilm copies
- other restrictions may apply
- applies to Reference Department only—the McClung Collection, the Archives, and TAMIS have separate fee schedules
Out-of-county or out-of-state requests will be sent at the discretion of the librarian with the same fee structure as for local customers.
If we don't have it:
Suggest something we should add to the library collection.
Interlibrary loan, 865-215-8746
If we don't have an item anywhere in the Knox County Public Library system, we may be able to get it for you from another library.
Periodicals = magazines, newspapers, newsletters, journals
Some can be checked out, some can be searched and read online. Get help finding obituaries or other articles you need from newspapers and magazines.
Foundation Center Funding Information Network, 865-215-8700
Make an appointment for an orientation to the Foundation Center Funding Information Network, providing fundraising information to grantseekers. See the Organizations and fund raising subject guide for a few of the resources available.