We wanted to let you all know that The Great Cake Bake, to benefit Imagination Library in Knox County, will NOT take place in 2016.
We are so thankful for your support and dedication every year and we hope that we can make this amazing event possible again in the future.
You can continue to support Imagination Library through direct donations or participate in our other fundraising events. Follow us on Facebook for the latest information.
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library of Knox County
See the 2015 winners.
What is the Great Cake Bake?
The Great Cake Bake is East Tennessee's premiere cake decorating contest. More than 180 beautifully decorated cakes, cupcakes, cake pops and diaper cakes will be displayed in Neyland Stadium. Cakes can be entered in a range of categories from junior to professional decorators, and fondant or buttercream divisions. Regardless or your skill level or expertise, there is a division perfect for you!
The Great Cake Bake inspires and delights crowds as they discover what some flour, sugar, butter and a little imagination can create! Attendees enjoy viewing a wide variety of beautifully decorated cakes, and even have the opportunity to vote for their favorite! There are also cake and pastry samples from some of the regions best bakeries, cupcake decorating, crafts and a bake sale. The sweetest part is that all proceeds benefit Dolly Parton's Imagination of Knox County.
Competition cakes must be delivered between 8:00 and 9:30 a.m. The doors open to the public at 12:00 - 5:00 p.m.
How do I volunteer for the Great Cake Bake?
*VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION IS NOW FULL FOR THE 2015 GREAT CAKE BAKE.* Thank you for your interest!
You can sign up now! Volunteers will be needed for helping with children's crafts, escorting cakes when delivered, selling baked goods and beverages, ticketing, registration, greeters, and working the floor. We are going to have a ton of fun!
How do I enter the Great Cake Bake?
What are the categories and divisions?
- Junior Decorator— Entrant must be 12 years old or younger on the day of the event. Entrant must bake, ice and decorate their own entry.
- Teen Decorator— Entrant must be 17 years old or younger on the day of the event. Entrant must bake, ice and decorate their own entry.
- Beginner— Entrant has less than 2 years experience. Decorates mainly as a hobby. Entrant is not enrolled in professional cake decorating classes and does not plan to pursue cake decorating as a career.
- Intermediate— Entrant has more than 2 years experience. Is not licensed or working as a decorator, sells less than 36 cakes per year. Does not meet the qualifications of the professional category. Entrant is enrolled in professional cake decorating classes and plans to pursue cake decorating as a career.
- Professional— May include licensed individuals, instructors, shop owners, a person employed as a decorator, an operator of an in-home business selling more than 36 cakes per year, or any individual where more than 50% of their cakes are sold.
All Occasion Cake
- buttercream ONLY
- fondant/gum paste/sugar art
- buttercream ONLY
- fondant/gum paste/sugar art
What are the prizes?
All new prizes for 2015! Details coming soon.
Some of the swag includes a year's supply of Satin Ice ($500 value), a caddy with Wilton tools and supplies ($250 value), a Keurig 2.0 Brewer, a Food Network gift basket, Dollywood tickets, and more!
First place winners in each category and division receive a trophy and bragging rights for an entire year! The People's Choice Award is presented to the cake decorator who won the hearts and imaginations of the attendees.
How much are tickets?
Tickets are $10/person and children under 12 are free. All tickets are available at the door.
Where do I park and how do I hear the movie?
- Cars will be parked randomly and/or may be placed based on your vehicle size.
- Please arrive with plenty of time to be parked as entry will not be allowed once the show begins.
- Movie entrance will begin at 5:00pm, movie will start at 7:30pm
- Audio for the movie will be broadcast through an FM transmitter and each vehicle will need a functioning FM radio.
- You will be given an area next to your car to sit in if you choose to, you will need a portable FM radio to hear the movie. You will be instructed on a frequency to tune your radio upon arrival.
What is the schedule?
8:00-9:30 a.m. Delivery and set up of competition cakes
9:30 a.m.-12 p.m. Tennessee Terrace is closed to competitors and the public for judging
12:00-5:00 p.m. Doors open to the public
5:00-5:30 p.m. All competition cakes must be picked up by the buyer or the cake decorator
What is a diaper cake?
This year, baby shower hostesses will be inspired by our new Diaper Cake division. Hand-crafted cakes made of diapers and baby accessories have become the unique center piece of baby showers everywhere.
Diaper cakes themed to Imagination Library books will receive extra points. Individuals or groups and organizations may enter a themed diaper cake to be judged and sold to benefit Dolly Parton's Imagination Library of Knox County.
What does the t-shirt look like?
The 2015 t-shirt is light pink with a burgundy Great Cake Bake logo on the front and the sponsor logos on the back.
What is the Imagination Library?
Dolly Parton's Imagination Library of Knox County mails one high-quality, age-appropriate, new book to almost 18,000 children in Knox County each month, regardless of income, and at no charge to the families. Dolly Parton's Imagination Library of Knox County is a partnership with the Knox County Public Library, which administers the program for our county, the Governor's Books from Birth Foundation who matches each donation to Imagination Library at 100%, and the Dollywood Foundation who provides the infrastructure for the program and allows us to purchase the books at a highly discounted rate.