Meet the seafaring people of Oceania who could navigate thousands of miles of open waters with stars as their only guides. The land down under has tales as big as their oceans to explore as part of Read City USA's Read Around the World challenge for 2020.
- Bob (Australia) by Wendy Mass & Rebecca Stead
- Bubble Trouble (New Zealand) by Margaret Mahy
- Diary of a Baby Wombat (Australia) by Jackie French
- Elizabeth, Queen of the Seas (New Zealand) by Lynne Cox
- Koala Lou (Australia) by Mem Fox
- The Secret Deep (New Zealand) by Lindsay Galvin
- South Pacific Mythology by Jim Ollhoff
- Surf War!: A Folktale from the Marshall Islands (Marshall Islands) by Margaret Read MacDonald
- Toad Rage (Australia) by Morris Gleitzman
- 20 Fun Facts About Easter Island (Easter Island) by Heather Moore Niver
- The Ghosts of Ashbury High by Jaclyn Moriary (Australia- New South Wales)
- Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta (Australia)
- The Lines We Cross by Randa Abdel-Fattah (Australia)
- Lucy and Linh by Alice Pung (Australia)
- The Shattering by Karen Healey (New Zealand)
- Tin Heart by Shivaun Plozza (Australia)
- Warriors in the Crossfire by Bo Flood (Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands)
- The Whale Rider by Witi Ihimaera (New Zealand)
- The Winds of Heaven by Judith Clarke (Australia)
- Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley (Australia)
Suggested adult reading coming soon.
Completed the Australian leg of your journey?
Good on ya! You've read 60 hours--halfway around the world. Visit any library to add your name to our flight board, or print your own card at home!
We'd love to see your travels on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Next stop? North America!