From the arid climes of the desert, Read City USA now travels to the fresh water zones of the world on our million hour reading expedition, Tails and Tales. Only 3% of the world’s water is fresh water, and two-thirds of that is tucked away in frozen glaciers or otherwise unavailable for our use. Freshwater ecosystems account for less than 0.01% of the planet’s total surface area but they support more than 100,000 species. Animals found in wetland habitats include toads, newts, muskrats, river otters, beavers, ducks, many varieties of fish, and platypuses.
Join us as we learn about lakes and rivers of the world! This book list focuses on the habitat, the animals that live there, and the people that encounter them.
- Between Two Skies by Joanne O'Sullivan
- Dig Too Deep by Amy Allgeyer
- First Descent by Pam Withers
- The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe by Ally Condie
- The River by Mary Jane Beaufrand
- Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser