Full page images of the historical archives (1922–1990) are searchable along with—or separate from—the full-text articles in the current collection (1990–present) and full-page images for 2018–present. Funded through the generous donations to the Library Foundation's "From Papers to Pixels" campaign.
This is part of the NewsBank resource.
Understanding the databases
The database of Knoxville News Sentinel (1990–Current) is text only and offers local and regional news including community events, schools, politics, government policies, cultural activities, local companies, state industries, and people in the community. Some public records are included. Associated Press and other newswire stories and syndicated content are omitted from the database.
The database of Knoxville News Sentinel (2018–Current) is an image database, with full-page views of the newspaper.
Other current databases provide access to the blog and other web-only sources.
The historical databases (with closed date ranges) trace changes in the name of the newspaper.
In the image databases (historical and current), all text is searchable but only as “All Text,” not as headline, author/byline, etc. All the words within a page will be a potential match for your search terms, not the words within an article.
If you are unsure of the spelling of your search word, use a wildcard symbol:
- Use the question mark in place of single letters—WOM?N will search for items containing woman or women
- Use the asterisk in place of multiple letters—ENVIRONMENT* will find environment, environmentalism, environmentalists, etc.
- khru*ev will find Khrushchev—a great help for spelling a tough name.
If you want to search for an exact phrase, enclose it in quotation marks.
You can use proximity searching (less exact than exact phrase) in one of the text databases. Operators are adj[x] or near[x]. Examples:
- Frances adj4 Burnett finds variations of Frances Eliza Hodgson Burnett
- Frances adj4 Burnett near15 portrait finds the word portrait within 15 words of the name in any order