Learn how you can earn your high school equivalency diploma at The Tennessee College of Applied Technology.
Resources for General Educational Development (GED), English language learning, adult literacy, and job skills
Offers over 7000 courses (apps available) in business, technology and creative subject areas (such as marketing, project management, data analysis, communication, information technology, design, office software, programming, photography, 3D/animation, audio, video and Web development). Tutorials are segmented and indexed into tasks for just-in-time learning, and course playlists can map to specific job roles or competencies. New courses are added weekly. Many courses include downloadable practice files.
Lynda.com will migrate to LinkedIn Learning on October 3. You may not be able to access either Lynda.com or LinkedIn Learning for up to 18 hours as data is migrated. After the migration, users will be required to have a LinkedIn profile. Your account will follow your library card username to a LinkedIn profile. To create a LinkedIn profile, you need to provide any "first name," last initial, location (can be USA), and email address (feel free to use burners). Then you can change your notification and privacy settings and choose to not have your profile searchable on search engines.
Format: Downloadable or streaming media
Search thousands of college and graduate schools, identify scholarships that meet financial needs, take online practice tests and use test prep ebooks to obtain education goals.
- Test prep: Full-length, timed practice exams that simulate the actual testing experience for GED, HiSET, AP, ISEE, COOP, SSAT, CLEP, FCAT, SAT, ACT, PSAT, TAKS, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, MAT, TOEFL, TOEIC, PAX, PSB-RN, TEAS, U.S. citizenship, and many others. Diagnostic pre-tests help students determine where they stand and how much preparation they need before taking an exam.
- College and graduate school planning: Information on more than 4,000 accredited undergraduate schools, including school location, tuition, academics, admission requirements, campus life and much more. Descriptions of 30,000 graduate and professional education programs in more than 300 academic disciplines offered by more than 1500 accredited colleges and universities, corresponding to the six-volume Peterson’s Annual Guide to Graduate Study.
- Financial aid tools: Undergraduate scholarship search, financial aid award analyzer, college savings calculator, tuition cost finder and more.
- Career development: The Resume Builder and Virtual Careers Library tools assist students in building essential career skills—like how to build a resume, cover letter and interviewing tips for users at all career stages. Using the Career Module, tests help users map interests and aptitudes to the most suitable job categories, industries, and occupations.
- International tools: Helps individuals prepare to pass the TOEFL (iBT), TOEFL (PBT), TOEIC and U.S. citizenship tests with online practice tests and ebooks.
Format: Interactive online service
Related File: A guide to using TERC
World Book for reluctant readers, new adult readers, and English language learners.
Rapid Reads are short books for adult readers; they are well-written, well-told books that can be read in one sitting and are intended for a diverse audience, including students of English as a second language, reluctant readers, adults who struggle with literacy and anyone who wants a high-interest quick read. The plots are contemporary and entertaining, with adult language and themes.
Format: Catalog search
Short instructional videos help adults gain the basic reading, writing, math, and science skills they need to achieve their educational, career, and personal goals.
Supports basic education, GED® / HiSET® preparation, computer literacy, and life-skill training to adult students.
Instruction in fine arts, food, crafts, dance, music and exercise. Offers classes for both children and adults; also hosts private parties.
Format: Telephone or in-person service
Language instruction resources
Online and face-to-face resources for learning foreign languages.
- Online – PowerSpeak Languages
- Face – UT non-credit courses
- Face – Foreign Language Academy (interpreters and translation also)
- Face – American Sign Language
- Face – Sign language classes at Tennessee School for the Deaf
- Online – BBC Languages
- Online – Memrise languages courses