From Custom House to History Center
The Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection is the local history and genealogy department of the Knox County Public Library System. The McClung Collection is a reference and research collection, so the books or library materials do not circulate, and are not available for interlibrary loan.
The Knox County Archives serves as a central repository for the permanent records of Knox County government and its agencies.
History of the Custom House
The East Tennessee History Center, Knoxville’s first Custom House and Post Office, was constructed 1871–1874 at the corner of Prince (now Market) Street and Clinch Avenue. The architect was Alfred Bult Mullett (1834-1890), at that time the chief architect for the United States government. A major addition doubled the size of the building in 1910.
Of neoclassical Italianate design, the Custom House served as Knoxville’s federal building until 1933, housing the federal court, excise offices, and post office. The Custom House was the first major building built entirely of East Tennessee marble, and the former federal courtroom on the third floor (now the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection) features notable neoclassical decoration.
From 1936 to1976, the building served as one of the main offices of the Tennessee Valley Authority. In 1977 the Custom House was awarded to the Knox County Public Library to be developed into the East Tennessee History Center. A new wing was added to the Gay Street side of the building in 2004, doubling the size of the building.
Weather Information Kiosk
The weather information kiosk, left, was erected at the intersection of Clinch Avenue and Prince (now Market) Street by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1912. The kiosk was a standard cast iron design used in many cities, four feet square, seven feet high, and weighing 3,600 pounds. Updated weather information was regularly posted here by the Knoxville Weather Station. During World War I, casualty lists were also posted. In 1933, the kiosk ceased to be used and was moved to Greenwood Cemetery on Tazewell Pike, where it remained until 2004, when it was restored and returned to its original location alongside the Custom House.