Getting started with genealogy
Getting started in genealogy can be quite daunting, but there are many resources that are readily available to help you in your search.
- The most important first step is to figure out what you know. You can use ancestry charts and family group sheets to organize the information.
- Once you know what you know, ask relatives for their input. Be sure and ask specific questions. Sometimes people know more than they think they do.
- Now, you'll need to figure out what you don't know.
- Come to the History Center and visit McClung and/or the Archives, and we'll be happy to help you track down the information you need. We have access to national databases and also library materials that cover many states, not just Tennessee.
- Also, be sure to check out our workshops. We teach basic genealogy, but we also offer workshops on databases or specific areas of genealogy.