Getting started with genealogy
Workshops, databases, permanent collections, and specialists are available to help you.
Getting started in genealogy can be quite daunting, but there are many resources that are readily available to help you in your search.
- Our workshops teach basic genealogy, but we also offer workshops on databases or specific areas of genealogy.
- The most important first step is to figure out what you know. You can use ancestry charts and family group sheets to organize the information.
- Once you know what you know, ask relatives specific questions. Sometimes people know more than they think they do.
- Now, you'll need to figure out what you don't know.
- Come to the History Center and visit McClung and/or the Archives, and we'll be happy to help you track down the information you need. We have access to national databases and library materials that cover many states, not just Tennessee.