Ahoy, mateys! Take a trip to the 28 Caribbean nations on 7,000+ islands as part of Read City USA's Read Around the World challenge for 2020. These beautiful tropical islands in the Gulf of Mexico are a sunny paradise on a cold winter's day; but beware the winds of August. Hurricanes of many sorts can abound. Check out our island-themed programs!
- All the Way to Havana by Margarita Engle (Cuba)
- Auntie Luce's Talking Paintings by Francie Latour (Haiti)
- Islandborn by Juno Diaz (Dominican Republic)
- The Cay by Theodore Taylor (Unnamed Caribbean Island)
- Marcus Vega Doesn't Speak Spanish (Puerto Rico)
- My Brigadista Year by Katherine Paterson (Cuba)
- Serafina's Promise by Ann E. Burg (Haiti)
Juvenile Memoir and Nonfiction
- Island Treasures: Growing Up in Cuba by Alma Flor Ada (Cuba)
- Where is the Bermuda Triangle by Megan Stine (Bermuda area)
Teen Fiction and Nonfiction
- Five Midnights by Ann Davila Cardinal (Puerto Rico)
- Game Seven by Paul Volponi (Cuba)
- Hold Tight by Laura Rose Wagner (Haiti)
- The Beast of Kukuyo by Kevin Jared Hosein (Trinidad)
- The Bermuda Privateer by William Westbrook (Bermuda)
- Caribbean by James Michener (Caribbean Islands)
- A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie (fictional island)
- Claire of the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat (Haiti)
- Conquistadora by Esmeralda Santiago (Puerto Rico)
- The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams (Bahamas)
- Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton (Cuba)
- Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton (Jamaica)
- Empire's Crossroads: A History of the Caribbean from Columbus to the Present Day by Carrie Gibson
- Island People: The Caribbean and the World by Joshua Jelly-Schapiro
- The Republic of Pirates by Colin Woodard
- The Spice Necklace: My Adventures in Caribbean Cooking, Eating and the Island Life by Ann Vanderhoof
Completed the Caribbean leg of your journey?
Great job! Visit any library to add your name to our flight board, or print your own card at home!
We'd love to see your travels on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.